Blog themes are the perfect Jekyll themes to use if you're looking to start your own blog, they're optmized for readability, so you can focus on writing.
Free themes are perfect if you're just starting out with Jekyll. Since they're free, you don't have to worry about choosing the wrong theme.
Github Pages Theme
These Jekyll themes all work great with Github Pages, allowing you to quickly get your site live without any hassle.
Long Haul is a minimal jekyll theme built with SASS / GULP / BROWSERSYNC / AUTOPREFIXER and focuses on long form blog posts. It is meant to be used as a starting point for a jekyll blog/website.
If you really enjoy Long Haul and want to give me credit somewhere on the internet send or tweet out your experience with Long Haul and tag me @brianmaierjr.
- Minimal, Type Focused Design
- Built with GULP + SASS + BROWSERSYNC + AUTOPREFIXER
- SVG Social Icons
- Responsive Nav Menu
- XML Feed for RSS Readers
- Contact Form via Formspree
- 5 Post Loop with excerpt on Home Page
- Previous / Next Post Navigation
- Estimated Reading Time for posts
- Stylish Drop Cap on posts
- A Better Type Scale for all devices
- Install Jekyll
- Fork the Long Haul repo
- Clone it
- Install Bundler
- Install gulp dependencies by running
- Run Jekyll and watch files by running
bundle exec gulp
- Customize and watch the magic happen!
The main settings can be found inside the
- title: title of your site
- description: description of your site
- url: your url
- paginate: the amount of posts displayed on homepage
- navigation: these are the links in the main site navigation
- social diverse social media usernames (optional)
- google_analytics Google Analytics key (optional)
This is MIT with no added caveats, so feel free to use this Jekyll theme on your site without linking back to me or using a disclaimer.